A 2008 Living Cultures grant supported the preparation, practice, and implementation of the Cloverdale Rancheria of Pomo Indians' traditional songs and dances by their then newly-formed dance group. Photo: Lily Kharrazi/ACTA.
In 2017 ACTA funded the annual Lavagem festival organized by BrasArte, a nonprofit dedicated to the music and dance traditions of Brazil. Photo: Lily Kharrazi/ACTA.
Tagalog language classes by the Sama Sama Cooperative, a 2016 Living Cultures grantee. Photo: Lily Kharrazi/ACTA.
in 2009 the indigenous art cooperative Coyote's Paw applied Living Cultures funds to lead workshops in the construction of traditional sinew-backed bows. Photo: Lily Kharrazi/ACTA.
The Ukrainian Art Center of Los Angeles received funding in 2019 to produce workshops in traditional regional arts including pysanky, or egg-decorating. Photo: Timo Saarelma.
2011 Living Culture grantee organization Movimiento Cultural de la Union Indigena conducted a series of workshops in traditional music and weaving for the Triqui community of Salinas. Photo: Lily Kharrazi/ACTA.
The 2010 Japanese Cultural Fair in Santa Cruz, supported by Living Cultures funds. Photo: Lily Kharrazi/ACTA.
Learn about the 2020 Grant Recipients
in 2020, ACTA awarded a total of $205,000 to 41 organizations to support their traditional arts projects. Click to see details of the 2020 grantees.
What We Fund
Pathways to nurture, sustain, and engage participation in traditional arts
Cultural continuity of traditional arts practices:
- Workshops and gatherings (for example, events that bring together artists, cultural specialists or community leaders to share skills and information or to engage in discussion and problem solving)
- Conservation, creation, or acquisition of important traditional arts items
- Intergenerational classes or other educational programs within a community (after-school youth programs, dance ensemble classes or practices, summer programs, etc.)
- Other kinds of mentorships with “culture bearers,” honoraria, travel costs within CA., etc. By “culture bearer” we mean a person who is recognized for their skills and knowledge in a particular traditional expression. (Please note that intensive, one-on-one artistic mentorships should apply to ACTA’s Apprenticeship Program instead.)
- Endangered language conservation and revitalization projects when carried out within the context of traditional art forms
- Other types of activities and projects that lead to cultural continuity of traditional arts practices
Sustaining future arts practices with needed purchases, services, or acquiring new skills
- Equipment and materials purchases (instruments, media equipment, costumes or regalia, etc.)
- Documentation of traditional arts, skills, ceremony, beliefs, or performances
- An investment to result in future revenues (fee for services for marketing consultation, website development, financial planning, etc.)
- Learning new skills by supporting mentorships with advisors or cultural specialists
- Other types of activities and projects that lead to long-term sustainability of traditional arts practices
Engaging and strengthening our own communities as well as engaging with others
- Public presentations, such as community-based concerts, festivals, and exhibitions that foster active participation
- Other types of activities and projects that lead to active participation in traditional arts practices within and between cultural communities
- Watch a webinar about applying to the Apprenticeship + Living Cultures funding opportunities.
- Browse previous organizations who have received funding from ACTA.
Downloadable Hard Copy (Paper) Application
Please first consider applying online via Submittable. If you feel more comfortable applying by mail with a downloadable print application, you may access the application in English or Spanish below.
Solicitud Física Descargable en Español
Por favor considera solicitar en línea por medio de Submittable. Si te sientes más cómodx solicitando por correo tradicional por medio de una solicitud que puedas descargar e imprimir, puedes acceder a ella y descargarla abajo en inglés o español.